Tara O’Farrel of Tara MakeUp wrote a blog on skincare and make up in the gym which recommends The Amazing Cleanse-Off Mitt https://www.healthplus.ie/the-cleanse-off-mitt.html
My advice is to completely clean the skin of all makeup especially if you are coming from a long day at work. Remove everything with your regular cleanser, if you are in a rush The Cleanse Off Mitt is handy as it genuinely removes everything with just water so you can do this quickly before your session in the gym.
I usually use Bioderma micellar Water to remove my make up for the gym and then use a small amount of Biofresh Rose Water on a cotton pad and gently sweep it all over.
- Avoid wearing a moisturiser or rich serum to the gym as it is likely to clog pores and possibly result in a breakout.
- It is so important to remove your make up before working out, again it will definitely clog your pores.
- Even if you have little or no make up on your skin it is still important to clean it before working out so there is nothing sitting on your skin that may clog your pores.
Gym Make Up
Ideally it is best to wear no make up to the gym at all, so many foundations are heavy on the skin and will just sink in to your pores as you work out potentially causing you to break out. There are simple things you can do if you really don’t feel comfortable going completely bare faced that will hopefully make you feel more confident.
- If you don’t feel comfortable going bare faced to the gym opt for a mineral foundation like Bellapierre Mineral Powder. it contains just 4 ingredients, all of which are kind, gentle, protective and nurturing on the skin. Its non-comedogenic and hypoallergenic so won’t sit in or clog pores like other foundations will. If you just have a few spots that you want to cover just pat this on with a fluffy eyeshadow brush like the E25 from blank canvas just to those areas instead of applying it all over the skin.
- I have semi permanent eyelashes which do make a difference to me when I am going bare faced to the gym as I feel like I have something on. I know some people will not leave the house without mascara on so for the gym I would highly recommend opting for a waterproof one.
What you do post gym is so important for you skin, cleaning your face as soon as possible post gym session is what I recommend. You don’t want a combination of dirt, oil and sweat clinging to your skin and clogging your pores resulting in a breakout so wash your skin as soon as you can. I usually go to the gym in the evening so now is the time I do my night time skincare routine.
- If you are rushing to work post session bring a mini face wash with you or a micellar water to clean your skin straight after your workout.
- I like to use Pixi glow Tonic post workout on cleansed skin to close my pores. It is a gentle exfoliator so I use it every other day.